In Gear with the Minister:
Dr. Eugene Lawton
William Lyon Phelps said, “The highest happiness on earth is in marriage. Every man who is happily married is a successful man even if he had failed in everything else. And every man whose marriage is a failure is not a successful man even if he has succeeded in everything else.” Would we dare disagree with Mr. Phelps when we consider that the two words, “DIVORCE GRANTED” are repeated more than 1,000 times each day? Every conscientious Christian must ask the question, “What can I do to prevent homes from being shattered and families separated?”
SIGNS OF DECAY FOR WHICH ONE SHOULD WATCH:
1. BREAKDOWN IN COMMUNICATION.
2. FINANCIAL PROBLEMS can and do become a very pressing tension builder.
3. SEXUAL INCOMPATIBILITY occurs with the loss of love and affection for one another.
4. INTERESTED IN MATERIAL THINGS more than a sincere dedication to the family.
5. EXCESSIVE ARGUMENTATION, RESENTMENT, IRRITABILITY and TEMPER as an expression of resistance toward life and one another.
6. A SPIRITUAL DECLINE in interest toward Christ and His church. Certainly there are many other symptoms, but these are some of the common ones.
SPIRITUAL RESOURCES CAN BOLSTER A DISINTEGRATING FAMILY. A Christian family does not just happen. It is a matter that requires constant and concentrated effort.
1. The number one resource is God and His Word. The study of His will and its application to one’s life is the great help.
2. Go to Bible Classes and worship regularly. More than simply attendance, involvement with dedication through commitment will be your aid.
3. The family altar or home devotionals. This requires the cooperation of the whole family.
4. Work, play and pray as a team.
5. Sometimes after you have done all you can and know, you may need to turn to the minister or elders for counseling.
PHILOSOPHY SAYS, THINK YOUR WAY OUT. INDULGENCE SAYS, DRINK YOUR WAY OUT. But Jesus says, “I am the way out.“
The Gospel of Jesus Christ concerning the Home